Featured Post

Thursday, April 05, 2012

There are some things I can't teach my kids..

Even though I am basically 100% responsible for my children's education, there are some things I just can't teach them. Things that they are better off learning on their own. Case in point, my daughter wanted to learn to knit..

I will be the first to admit, I am a rotten knitter. I can make scarves.. Period.. And even those are sad, misshapen things. In addition, knitting frustrates the heck out of me. I knit too tightly, making the whole process much more difficult then it needs to be.

So, when Danielle asked me to teach her, I handed her a book (Teach Yourself Knitting) and directed her to the multitude of videos available on YouTube. Because I knew she would get frustrated (like mother like daughter?), I would get frustrated and we would end up angry at one another.

Looks like my eebil plan worked splendidly.. She got frustrated but not at me, but at the yarn, the book, the needles. Leaving me to be the calm voice of reason, reminding her to slow down, it all takes practice and other bits of Yoda-like wisdom.

And here is the outcome of her dedication and hard work.. 9 rows of lovely stitches, possibly better then her mama could do :)

No comments: